Cyber Threat Weather - March 2021
Stormy on SolarWinds's side. Some fresh wind on the ransomware stage with the appearance of Babuk.
Weak signals for Strategic CTI
- Supply-chain attacks like SolarWinds allow threat groups to target a large variety of sectors without a geographical distinction. This tactic enables to reach a wide spectra of vulnerable services and then choose and target the victims they’re interested in. Supply-chain attacks could be also part of the cyberpowers race to the zero-days that could lead to cyber-weapons.
- APT groups operations could form alliances of interest to target a supply chain from which all parties could benefit despite strategic and geopolitical differences. Others may jump into the breach out of sheer opportunism.
- It’s highly likely that supply-chain attacks are going to be increasingly popular in short/mid term amongst threat actors to access enterprises and public sector jewels crown.
- FBI publishes its annual report on cyber-crime
- 9 Media Entertainment (Australia) hit by Medusa Locker